A lovely recipe passed down to me. It is a warm, wholesome and filling recipe which can be served with plain basmati rice or warm rotli’s or pooris. For those who do not eat onion can omit it from this recipes and still enjoy the lovely taste.
Veg Spinach Shak (Veg Spinach Curry)
1 medium yellow/brown onion (optional)
3 medium ripe tomatoes
3 green chillies
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1/2 teaspoon asafetida
1 small aubergine
2 medium carrots
1/2 floret of cauliflower
1 packet of baby spinach
1 large potato
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon tumeric powder
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 teaspoon cumin-coriander powder
Small bunch of coriander
- Finely chop the onion, green chillies and tomatoes or use a vegetable chopper. Set aside.
- Dice the potato, aubergine and carrots. Chop cauliflower into medium florets. Wash all vegetables and set aside.
- Remove stems off the baby spinach leaves and roughly shred.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds. Allow them to sizzle for a few seconds then add the asafetida.
- Add the the onion mixture and allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally on a medium heat. The onions should turn translucent. If you are not using onions, then just add green chillies with the tomatoes.
- Add the tomatoes soften to a pulp.
- Add all the chopped vegetables and spinach. Combine well.
- Add spinach, salt, turmeric, garam masala and cumin-coriander powder. Coat the vegetables well with added the spices by adding a small amount of water.
- Set the curry to simmer at a low heat which will aid the vegetables to release water. The potatoes, carrots and cauliflower will softens in the vegetable juices, however, if it becomes dry sprinkle some water to prevent sticking.
- Once vegetables are cooked, sprinkle chopped coriander and serve.