This is a classic, quick and easy dish to prepare. It can be made as a side dish or as a main to serve with boiled rice. This is a comfort recipe which can be made when you want something quick and easy but tasty, satisfying and filling.
Vatana bateta nu shak is also known as aloo matar in Hindi and there are many different recipe versions available from across India. It is a popular dish and each one differs on the type of gravy that is created and the spices added to the dish. In this Gujarati version, the gravy will come together as you cook the potatoes, peas and tomatoes in water with the spices. Therefore, it is quick and easy to make; throw together all the ingredients in a pan, cover and simmer at a medium heat. Simple.
This is my mums recipe and just like all of her recipes, this one is also no onion and no garlic. Hope you like it.
Vatana Bateta Nu Shak (Potato and Peas Curry)
2-4 medium potatoes
1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
3-4 medium tomatoes or half can chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 teaspoon – mustard seeds
½ teaspoon asafoetida
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin and coriander powder
1 ½ teaspoon red chilli powder (or to taste)
½ teaspoon garam masala powder
Salt to taste
Finely chopped coriander for garnishing
- Cube the potatoes, wash, soak in water and set aside.
- Chop tomatoes into medium size chunks if using fresh.
- Purée the tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat then add mustard seeds. Allow them to crackle for a few seconds and then add asafoetida.
- Add pureed tomatoes or canned tomatoes. Allow this to heat for approximately 2 minutes without it sticking to the pan.
- Add the drained washed potatoes and the peas in with the tomatoes. Mix well.
- Add all the spices and salt. Stir in well.
- Add water to the point where the potatoes are just covered and cook with the lid on at a medium heat for 15-20 minutes. While cooking the gravy will begin to splutter and thicken slightly.
- Check to see it curry is ready by softly pressing on the potatoes. If they break easily, allow the curry to rest covered for 5 minutes.
Serve with Boiled rice and papad.