Garlicky Avocado Bruschetta. This is the ultimate food item, be it an appetiser, a starter, or a breakfast item and will most definitely liven things up. I actually made these by accident by throwing a few ingredients together because I was soo hungry one afternoon.
Bruschetta is delicious and quite healthy as far as appetisers given the right ingredients. When I made this for a dinner party, it was a real hit with the guests. It’s creamy, sweet, savoury and moreish and whenever I make this, I might as well not bother with anything else. All my friends and family members fill themselves up on these and leave the rest of my dishes hanging almost in shame.
At first this dish looks ‘odd’ as described by a friend of mine. Charming, I thought. Surprisingly it was her that ate the most when she first sunk her teeth into these goodies. It was the taste and texture which took her by surprise and while bruschetta is not a new dish, it is the art of fusion of the ingredients which sets it apart.
I have found that this mouth-watering dish depends entirely on how you bring it together and can make the difference between a soggy piece of bread or an appetising addition to a meal.
Before you begin to bring this beautiful dish together, remember to buy quality bread whether it be a French or Italian baguette or sourdough. Ensure the area you place your ingredients on is large enough. Buy fresh warm bread which is often found in the bakery section of a supermarket.
Also small, sweet cherry or plum tomatoes are better suited than any other tomato type as they are sweeter and are often less watery.
I used all organic ingredients for this recipe and it tasted divine!
Here how to enjoy these goodies at home or with friends.
Garlicky Avocado Bruschetta
Whole grain sliced French bread or sliced sourdough
3-4 ripe organic avocados
3-4 organic cloves garlic
Organic extra virgin olive oil
Juice of half an organic lemon
1 teaspoon organic cracked black pepper
½ teaspoon organic smoked paprika
Small bunch of organic basil leaves
Organic plum cherry tomatoes
Koshaer salt to taste
Organic balsamic vinegar
- Start of slicing the bread into ½ inch slices. Anything less than this will leave it too crunchy when its placed in the oven.
- Next take the tomatoes and chop them in half or in small circles, place in a sieve and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon kosher salt and stir well. Allow this to sit to drain the tomatoes of the excess fluid while you prepare all the other ingredients.
- Smash the avocados and add the lemon juice to prevent them from going brown. The last thing you want for this recipe is brown oxidised and unappealing avocados.
- Minces the garlic and chop the basil leaves and add to the avocados.
- Add the drained tomatoes with the smoked paprika, black pepper, olive oil, a splash balsamic vinegar.
- Give it a toss and combine all your beautiful ingredients together.
- Now place your sliced bread on to a baking tray, lightly spray or brush with extra virgin olive oil.
- Top the slices with avocado mixture, be generous and place in the oven at a low heat and grill.
- Finish off by sprinkling the bruschetta with salt and pepper and a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar and serve.